I'm sure everyone has heard over and over how important social media is to building a business these days. So if you don't have any social media accounts set up, let's start with Facebook. It's important to set your business up under a Facebook Page and not just a Profile. If you're not quite sure about the difference between the two, continue reading :)
What's the Difference Between a Facebook Profile, Page and Group?
A Facebook Profile is a personal account, set up as you, an actual person. You need to input things like your first and last name, sex, date of birth etc. A few points about a Profile:
- People must request to be your friend in order to see the information in your feed (unless you set your profile to be public)
- Becoming someone's friend is a 2 way street meaning if you're friends, they can see your posts and you can see theirs
- Your profile is limited to 5000 friends
- You're only allowed to set up 1 Facebook profile (as there is only 1 of you;)
- Your posts cannot be "shared" with other users, only commented on or liked
- A Facebook Page is for businesses and organizations to connect with fans. A few points about a Page:
- It is public for all to view, unless you change your settings to make certain posts private or you decide to unpublish your page
- Because the content is public, it will show up in search engines like Google
- Anyone with a Facebook Profile or Page can like your Page so that your posts show up in their feeds.
- You have access to Facebook Insights which gives you information to help understand your customer, what they like, when they visit, etc
- There is no limit to the amount of fans you can have
- You can create more than 1 Facebook Page if you run multiple businesses
- People can easily share you posts on their Facebook Profile or Page
A Facebook Group is for communication among a smaller group. These are generally created so that people can discuss and share photos around a cause, event or issue. A few points about a Group:
- Groups can be set to public (so anyone can join), private (you must invite people to join) or administrative approval.
- Members can contribute content to be seen by other members
- There is no limit to the amount of members
Most likely, the best option for your business is to set up a Facebook Page, so once you have a personal Facebook Profile set up, you can follow the steps below to start your page and run it!
How to Create a Facebook Page
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/pages/ and click on "+create a page"
- Choose a category from the list. If you're a handmade business, you'll want to choose "Local Business or Place"
- Fill in the fields with your company's information
- Follow the steps to upload your company's logo, "About Us" information, import contacts and invite your friends to like your page
- Start adding content
Once you have 25 likes, you can get a vanity url so that your business name appears at the end of www.facebook.com instead of a bunch of numbers
- Go to this page: https://www.facebook.com/username
- Select your page from the drop down menu, enter the username you would like and click "check availability"
You can also add admins in the case that there is more than 1 person from your business that will be posting to your page:
- Go to your Page
- Along the top on the right, click on "Edit Page"
- Choose "Admin Roles" from the drop down
- Enter the email address of another person you would like to give permission to
- Choose the role they will have (ie: Manager, Content Creator, Moderator, Advertiser, Insights Analyst)
- Click "Add Another Admin" to add more than 1 person
Now you are all set to start building your fan base. Post interesting, relevant content and links to keep your fans engaged :)