In a nutshell, Made Urban is an online marketplace for buying and selling locally made goods. But we don’t really belong in a nutshell and there’s a lot more to us than just that. We’re a site for supporting locally and independently owned businesses that make, bake, grow or create their own goods or services. Made Urban is an outlet for small businesses to gain exposure, knowledge, customers and make connections while giving buyers a place to shop local, 24/7 and support their community.
What can you find on Made Urban?
First and foremost, you can find products and services that are independently and locally made, baked, grown and created. You can also discover independently owned shops around your city that are catered towards the creative community, like craft supply stores and the boutiques that carry our Seller’s goods. Craft shows, art shows, farmers’ markets and other related events and festivals can be found on our Events page. And last but not least you can find an abundance of information on our News page in regards to running your own business, getting crafty and supporting local.
The most unique part of Made Urban is the focus on LOCAL. The first time you check us out, you’ll choose your country and province. This allows us to show you the awesome products, services, shops and events in your area. To narrow it down even more, you can select a city you’d like to shop in so you only see listings in your specific area.
What’s so great about Local?
So much we can’t get into it all here. But we decided to focus our site around supporting local for a few key reasons:
• Supporting local is not only kinder on the environment, it’s downright awesome for your economy
• You save on expensive shipping fees and get to support your neighbour’s budding business
• It gives independent businesses the opportunity to be seen by a local market without having to compete with millions of other vendors from around the world
It’s just a fun name we coined for our members :)
A Storefront is where Buyers can go to learn more about a Seller, Service or Local Shop member. They’ll be able to contact the member from here, view their website(s) links, location, and bio. For Seller and Service members, all of their listings will also appear on this page so Buyers can browse all of the products or services that member has for sale.
For Seller and Service members, the URL that appears when you’re on your Storefront page is your Made Urban username + madeurban.com (yourusername.madeurban.com). This is the web address you can send friends, family and customers to in order to shop your products and services exclusively.
I have some suggestions for site improvements, who should I contact?
Awesome, we would love to hear them! The best way to submit your ideas for site improvements is to email us at email@example.com
or use our contact form
How do I report a seller selling inappropriate items?
We have a “Report this Seller” link that you can use to notify us of any inappropriate listings or members. You’ll find these links on each product or service listing under the listing’s image(s) on the right. You’ll also see the “Report this Seller” link on each member’s Storefront, under their logo/profile picture.
What is the customer service contact e-mail?
What is the customer service phone number?
You can call Made Urban at (587) 409-2117. Please leave a message with your name, number and what the phone call is regarding and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Which browsers work best with Made Urban?
To get the best user experience out of Made Urban, you should be using the most current version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari or Opera.
Should I become an Urbee?
We think so! There are 4 different Urbee memberships so everyone can find a place to fit.
1. Buyer - You love supporting local and are looking for creative services or products made, baked, grown in your city. You should register as a Buyer. This makes checkout a breeze and it’s completely free! Find out more here
2. Seller - You love gettin’ creative and are lookin’ to sell some of the goods you’ve made, baked, grown or created. You definitely want to become a Seller. You can set up your own Storefront and list any products you provide. Find out more here
3. Service - If you’re looking to get the word out about a creative service you provide, then Service is the membership for you (you’ll also be able to list any products you create). Same as a Seller, you can set up a Storefront and list your creative services. Examples of Service Providers on Made Urban would be: photographers, caterers, party planners or people who run crafty workshops. Find out more here
4. Local Shop - If you independently own a brick and mortar store that caters to the crafty scene and are looking for some local love, you can register as a Shop. You can set up a Storefront and create a listing for our Local Shops page. Examples of a Local Shop on Made Urban would be stores that sell; craft supplies, photography equipment or locally made items. Find out more here
I’m not familiar with PayPal, how does it work?
It is a safe and easy way to pay for items on the internet. Whether you're a buyer and don't always want to have to search for your wallet and credit card or are a seller and need to manage your transactions, it keeps everything in one place for you.
If you are using PayPal to buy something, it is absolutely free, if you are a seller managing your sales, it will simply take a small percentage of each sale.
Follow this link or look at the top of our site and you will find a "Not a member? Sign up for FREE" link. Click on that. Now you can choose which type of member you’d like to be based on our informative descriptions, fill out the form and follow the instructions.
It is a name you choose to identify your Made Urban account. If you’re a Seller, Service or Local Shop, you’ll want to choose a username that is (or is close to) your business name. For example, if my business name is Rocks & Gems, you may want to choose the username; rocksandgems. If that username is already taken, you may try something along the lines of rocksandgems1 or rocksgems (try not to get too lengthy with your username).
For Buyers, choose a nickname or your business name if you plan on upgrading to a Seller, Service or Local Shop in the near future. You’ll see your username in the top right corner when you’re logged in. This name cannot be changed at a later date.
What confirmation email? I don’t see it
There are a few scenarios here:
1. You need to give it a bit more time to travel through the world wide web
2. Your email provider doesn’t understand how much you love Made Urban and marked us a spam (be sure to let them know we are definitely NOT spam so future emails from us don’t go there)
3. You accidently bought an extra vowel when entering your email and now the email has gone to the wrong address. If you think this is the case, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call us (587-409-2117) and we can correct it for you.
How do I change my password?
Once logged in, click the "My Made Urban" link in the top right corner. Under the "My Account" section you will see a "Change Password" light yellow button. Simply click on that button, enter our old password once, then enter your new password twice, click the pink "Save" button and you’re done.
What file types can I upload to my Storefront or listings?
File types that are accepted are jpg, gif and png.
How do I delete my Made Urban account?
If you would like your account deleted, once logged in, click the "My Made Urban" link in the top right corner. Under the "My Account" section you will see a "Delete Account" light yellow button. Simply click on that button and then hit the pink "Delete" button and you're done. Please note all your information and listings will be removed completely from MadeUrban.com and cannot be recovered.
Do I need to register as buyer in order to shop on Made Urban
You don’t have to…..but it’s free and it sure does make it easier for you. As a registered buyer you’ll be able to easily upgrade to a Seller, Service or Local Shop at any point. As well, it makes check out a breeze so you won’t have to fill in your name and shipping address every time you buy something.
As a Buyer, do I have a public profile?
You won’t have a profile that other users can view. Other people will be able to see your username when you comment or make purchases, but that is the only information they see.
How do I register as a Buyer?
1. Visit our registration page
2. Choose the Buyer membership
3. Fill out the form
4. Check your email for a message from us (if you don’t see one, check your spam folder)
5. Follow the link in your email back to Made Urban and log in!
How do I buy items off of Made Urban
Each Seller and Service provider runs their own Made Urban storefront and handles each transaction on their own. You can put as many items from a single vendor in your shopping cart as you like and pay for them all at once. If you want to buy from multiple vendors, you’ll have complete separate transactions so that each vendor receives their money.
If you choose to pay for the item online, all transactions go through PayPal; we don’t collect, store or have access to any of your credit card or banking information. If you decide to complete the transaction off of our site, then it is completely up to you and the vendor on how you would like to exchange your money for the product or service.
Can I buy items from other cities?
Our site is set up for you to shop your nearest city but that doesn’t mean there aren’t great things available in the next town. If you’re willing to pay the shipping fees and the Seller is able to ship it to you, then you’ve got yourself a deal! You can forego selecting a city and browse our site by province/state but if you want to support really local and save on shipping fees, then use the city drop down at the top of our site, select your location and shop away!
Seller & Service Members
What can I sell on Made Urban?
Products and services that are locally created or provided, involving your creativity and hands. How much your creativity and hands are involved may vary but the more the better!
• Products – these must be tangible items that are currently available for a sale. You should have a major hand in making these products but if you weren’t involved in every aspect of its making, that’s okay. Perhaps you’ve bound some journals but didn’t make the paper, you’re a fit. Selling jewelry but didn’t forge the metal? You’re also a fit. As long as you’re creating the designs and putting the pieces together to create the final product, you’re a fit.
• Services – you’re providing a creative service based on your customer’s needs. Think of services that take an artful eye, ear or taste bud. Baking, cooking, decorating, designing, dj-ing, photographing & teaching art related classes are all examples of creative services.
What is not allowed on Made Urban?
and applicable local, state, federal or international laws, we have a few other outlines to follow when it comes to listings on Made Urban.
There are lots of crafty people out there and although the following items may be created by you, we still can’t allow them on our site. Because of rules and all…you understand right?
• Hazardous materials
• Drugs or drug paraphernalia
• Pornography & adult material
• Real Estate
• Motor Vehicles or motor vehicle parts
• Any item made with recalled materials or is a recalled item on its own
• In general, anything that we find inappropriate, harmful, fraudulent or illegal.
Made Urban reserves the right to remove any listing without notice that we feel is inappropriate.
We also don’t allow the resale of any items. If you didn’t have a hand in making it, it doesn’t fit on Made Urban.
Services being provided as an employee under a large chain or franchise are not a fit for Made Urban. Although you may be a creative person offering your photography services, if you’re not offering them as a small, independent, local business, you’re not a fit.
Services that are not considered creative or related to our crafty community are not eligible to be listed on Made Urban. To get an idea of the type of services we do allow listings for, check out the categories on our Services
page or contact us
if you have any questions.
I sell both Products & Services, do I have to register for both?
You can sell services if you register as a Seller and vice versa. Just choose your membership based on what you’ll primarily be listing. When you go to create a listing you can choose whether it is a product to be listed on our Products page or a Service to be listed on our Service page.
How do I accept payments?
If you are set up with a Paypal account:
When a buyer decides to purchase an item from your Storefront, they will be brought to PayPal to pay for the item. Once they return from PayPal, your listing’s quantity will automatically update to having 1 less available. If there was only 1 available to purchase, your item will no longer be visible for buyers to purchase. You can make it visible to buyers again by editing the listing’s quantity to greater than 0.
If you do not accept Paypal then an alternate payment method must be arranged between you and the buyer. Once a transaction is complete you will have to manually adjust your quantity available or delete the listing if you only had one item available for purchase.
How do I register as a Seller or a Service?
1. Visit our registration page
2. Choose the Seller or Service membership
3. Fill out the form
4. Check your email for a message from us (if you don’t see one, check your spam/junk folder)
5. Follow the link in your email back to Made Urban, log in, start setting up your Storefront and add some listings.
How do I set up my Storefront?
Once you’ve purchase your membership, you can log in and click on ‘My Account’. From this page you’ll be able to:
• Add your Shipping Information and Store Policies – these can be applied to each of your listings so you don’t have to fill them in every time. If you want to change them for a particular listing, no problem! You’ll have the option apply your standard info and policies or write new ones when creating a product or service listing.
• Add a profile photo or logo
• Fill in your About section
• Include some links to your website, blogs or social media accounts
How do I add listings to my Seller or Service Storefront?
Once you are logged in, you can click on Create Listing in the top right corner to begin creating listings.
• UPLOAD YOUR PHOTOS
o Start by uploading any and all photos you want to create listings for. Forget about 1 listing at a time! You can upload 6 images at once and hundreds of photos on this page to sort, tweak and create listings with on the next page.
• ADD YOUR PRODUCT/SERVICE DETAILS & CREATE LISTING
o Choose 1 – 6 photos you want to work with to create one listing. You may want to use just 1 photo to represent the product or service or you may want to use more for details (ie: 3 photos of your product showing the top, side and front, 2 closeup photos showing off the details of the products, and 1 photo to give the customer an idea of the size)
o Fill in the fields to add some more information about your product or service for sale including; product/service name, price, currency, SKU, quantity, description, meta tags, policies and shipping information.
What exactly are Meta Tags?
You can fill this field in when creating your product/service listings to help users discover your listings though keywords. Use descriptive words to describe your product or service and try to think about what your customers might enter into the search bar to look for them. These meta tags not only help you get noticed on Made Urban, they’ll also go to work for you on search engines. If you were listing a turquoise necklace on Made Urban, you may fill the Meta Tags field in with the following descriptive keywords: necklace, turquoise, handmade, silver, oval, chain.
Made Urban reserves the right to remove any keywords that do not relate to the product or service listed.
How do I delete or edit a product or service?
When you’re logged into your Seller or Service account, click on the ‘My Listings’ link in the top right corner. From this page you’ll be able to see all of your listings and choose which ones you’d like to edit or delete. Click on the ‘View/Edit This Listing’ button next to the product or service you’d like to update. This will bring up all the details and allow you to change any field. To delete an image, use the trash can icon. To add a new photo, click the ‘Upload Additional Photos to Listing’ button. On this page you are only able to upload one photo at a time.
Does Made Urban take a commission/percentage from each listing or sale?
We don’t! It's all yours :-).
Can I accept payments for my products or sales in person?
For sure! We don’t collect any commission, sales or listing fees so how you conduct a sale is completely up to you. We’re here if you need to use our shopping cart but ultimately we’re interested in getting you exposure.
Zip, nadda, nothin! Made Urban is currently free to register, list and sell on. We don't take any listing, sales or commission fees. We plan to always offer a free basic membership and soon we'll have a paid option if you would like more features than you currently see.
Go to our Events Page and click on the Submit a New Event button. Fill out the form with your event’s information and it will be published on our event calendar.
How much does it cost to advertise my event on Made Urban?
It is currently free! We love working with people to spread the word about their event and Made Urban and are looking for event organizers who are interested in cross promoting with us. This means we’ll post your event on our Events page in exchange for you helping us spread the word about Made Urban. Maybe you have a Facebook page you could share our link on, or a place to hand out our postcards at your event. Drop us a line
so we can discuss!
How long does my event stay up?
It will appear in our calendar from the date you submit it. Expired events are not taken down, they just appear on our calendar as a past event.
As a vendor, how do I participate in one of the events listed on Made Urban?
Find the event you would like to be a part of on our calendar and look for contact information for that particular event. We don’t personally have any involvement in organizing the events so you’ll have to get in touch with the individual organizer.